VIDEO – Meet a satisfied patient: Col Arnald Gabriel had severe aortic stenosis, but is now going stronger than ever after a TAVR procedure at Inova.
What is TAVR?
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement, or TAVR, is a minimally invasive alternative to surgical aortic valve replacement. Historically, a diseased aortic valve was replaced using open heart surgery, which required an incision on the chest and connecting the patient to the heart lung machine so the heart could be stopped while the surgeon cut out the old valve and sewed in the new one.
TAVR allows replacement of your diseased aortic valve without stopping the heart, and typically, without any incisions on the chest. In appropriately selected patients, TAVR’s advantages include a shorter hospital stay and a quicker return to the normal activities of day to day life.
Why choose Inova for TAVR?
Inova is a national leader in TAVR procedures. Beginning in 2010, the Inova Heart and Vascular Institute was the first cardiac center in Virginia to offer the revolutionary CoreValve trial, one of the first research studies to demonstrate superior outcomes associated with the TAVR procedure when compared to traditional open heart surgery.
Over the years our experience and expertise has continued to grow. Currently, Inova is one of the highest volume TAVR sites in the United States. We are conveniently located in Northern Virginia, in the Washington DC metro area. Our program features:
- Comprehensive options: We offer the latest TAVR technology utilizing multiple TAVR platforms including the Edwards Sapien 3 and Medtronic Evolut PRO valves.
- Leaders in valve replacement research: Click to see all Inova clinical trials, then select Interventional Cardiology/Structural Studies of the Heart.
- Convenient, efficient TAVR evaluation: Inova has taken TAVR’s complicated, multi-step process and streamlined it. With our extensive experience and patient feedback to guide us, we have created an innovative structural heart clinic for all of the testing, consultations and preparation needed for TAVR.
- Experienced, multidisciplinary team: Our team of board-certified heart specialists collaborate at every step of your care. Together since the inception of transcatheter aortic valve replacements, their ability to operate as one unit across disciplines, especially in emergency situations, contributes to our record of superior patient outcomes. Learn more about our team of cardiac doctors
- State-of-the-art hybrid OR: Inova has a state-of-the-art hybrid operating room which allows cardiac surgeons, electrophysiologists and cardiologists to operate together on the same patient at the same time this reduces surgical time and promotes faster recovery, with less risk of complications.
At Inova Heart and Vascular Institute, our experienced heart doctors are national leaders in valve replacement procedures. As we design your personalized treatment plan, your quality of life and your health needs will be our focus.
Learn more about all of Inova's minimally invasive valve replacement treatments
Make an appointment
To make an appointment with one of our doctors, call
703-776-3135 or email us.
Watch our video to learn more about Inova's Structural Heart Program: