How do I find a cardiologist or vascular specialist?

Read below for more information about the different types of experts who provide care at Inova Heart and Vascular Institute. For a physician referral, call 1-855-MY-INOVA (855-694-6682) or use the links below to identify physicians within a particular specialty.


A cardiologist is a physician who has expertise in disorders of the cardiovascular system. They specialize in conditions involving the heart and blood vessels and provide diagnosis and treatment for conditions such as elevated cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, cardiac chest pain and myocardial infarction – more commonly known as heart attack.

Find an Inova cardiologist arrows

Interventional Cardiologist

Interventional cardiologists perform minimally invasive procedures that rely on catheters and small incisions instead of traditional surgery. These procedures include balloon angioplasty to open blocked arteries, balloon valvuloplasty to widen a stiff or narrowed heart valve, implantation of coronary stents to hold open previously blocked arteries and cardiac catheterization.

Find an Inova interventional cardiologist arrows

Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiologist

A diagnosis of advanced heart failure, also known as congestive heart failure or CHF, indicates heart disease that has progressed to a point where traditional therapies and symptom management are no longer working. These cardiologists are dedicated to managing the needs of these patients and are board certified in both advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology.

Find an Inova advanced heart failure cardiologist arrows

Cardio-Oncology Cardiologist

Research shows a heightened risk for various heart conditions such as cardiomyopathy or heart failure during and after cancer treatment. Cardiovascular effects of cancer treatment are the second leading cause of death among cancer survivors. These cardiologists specialize in the care of patients also undergoing treatment for cancer.

Find an Inova cardio-oncology cardiologist arrows

Arrhythmia / Electrophysiologist

An electrophysiologist is a cardiologist who specializes in the electrical system of the heart. Electrophysiologists are specially trained in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms). They perform procedures such as diagnostic electrophysiology testing to find and assess arrhythmias, radiofrequency catheter ablation, and implantation of devices such as pacemakers and defibrillators.

Find an Inova cardiac electrophysiologist arrows

Cardiac Surgeon

A cardiac surgeon is a physician who performs operative procedures on the heart and great vessels. Cardiac surgeons repair or replace heart valves, widen clogged arteries, repair aortic aneurysms, and perform heart bypass surgery and heart transplants.

Find an Inova cardiac surgeon arrows

Cardiovascular Genomics

These cardiologists specialize in the care of adult and pediatric cardiovascular patients and their families with both inheritable genetic diseases and genomic diseases.

Find an Inova cardiovascular genomics specialist arrows

Vascular Surgeon

A vascular surgeon specializes in operative procedures on the vascular system – the arteries, veins and capillaries that move blood through the body and to and from the heart. They treat conditions such as abdominal aortic aneurysms, carotid artery disease, peripheral artery disease and varicose veins.

Find an Inova vascular surgeon arrows

Vascular and Interventional Radiologist

Vascular and interventional radiologists are board-certified physicians who specialize in image-guided minimally invasive, targeted treatments.

Find an Inova vascular and interventional radiologist arrows

For a referral to an Inova Heart and Vascular Institute doctor, call 1-855-MY-INOVA (855-694-6682).